DID YOU KNOW
- Around 2.4 billion women of working age are not afforded the equal economic opportunity.
- In 86 countries, women face some form of job restriction.
- In 95 countries do not guarantee equal pay for equal work.
- Women still have only three-quarters of the legal rights afforded to men.
- Women in sub-Saharan Africa collectively spend about 40 billion hours a year collecting water.
- Just 39 percent of rural girls attend secondary school, far fewer than rural boys (45 percent).
- Women make up fewer elected representatives in most rural councils. In Asia, this ranges between 1.6 percent in Sri Lanka and 31 percent in Pakistan.